How To Measure Your Right Bra Size
Bra Fitting Guide
What should I do if the back rides up?
This means the band is too loose. Try tightening the band to the next hook or try a smaller band size and possibly go up a cup size.
This means the cups are too small. Try a larger cup size so that the center lays flat.
What if my breast tissue is spilling over the top of the cup or is bulging under my arm?
Your cup size is too small. Go up a cup size.
What should I do if the wire is poking me?
You should go up a cup size. The cup is too small.
What should I do if my straps are digging into my shoulders?
Try loosening the straps. If that doesn’t work, you should try going up a cup size. The cups may be too small.
I never wear “padded bras”, will I look any bigger than I am?
Some bras like Le Mystère may be ideal for you. They are not padded bras; they are contoured bras. The contour bra gives you shape, lift, and coverage; the fuller busted figure can look smaller when the bust is positioned correctly in proportion to the arms and torso.
Why do strapless bras always fall?
The support of any bra comes primarily from the band. It must be snug enough to support the weight of the bust. Make sure that your band fits properly so that it is even from front to back. When lifting your arms the band should not move or shift, that is how you will know that it is a perfect fit.
When traveling, how do I best pack my bras in a suitcase?
Open all of your bras and nest them on top of one another. Place a pair of socks in the cups of the bottom bra. Doing so will ensure that the cups keep their shape and do no crush. Surround with other clothing.
What are the 6 Fit Checkpoints?
1. The top of the cup should contain the breast without bulging or gaping. If it’s bulging, the cup is too small, or your straps are too tight.
2. The underwire should follow the perimeter of the ribcage—under the breast tissue, not on it.
3. Bra bands should hug the body firmly, anchoring the bra cup and underwire in place.
4. The band of the bra should also fit horizontal across back; if it rides up in the center, this indicates that the weight of the breasts is pulling the back of the band up, and the band is too large. You may need to go down a band size.
5. The center front should lie flat, tacking close to the breastbone.
6. If your straps are correctly adjusted, you should only be able to fit two fingers under the strap.
Can you share a few insider secrets?
Of course! Did you know that most of the support of a bra come from the band, not the straps? If the band is too loose, the cup and underwires are floating away from the body. Making the band of the bra snugger by going down a band size anchors the cup and underwires onto your body to provide maximum comfort and support. For example, if you’re wearing a 34, try a 32.
Also, as the bra ages, and the elastic loosens, you can snug up the band by moving the hook and eye over to the next set of hooks to give your bra that fresh-out-of-the-box support.
Finally, don’t wear your bra two days in a row. If you do, you won’t give the fibers enough time to rest and recover, which means your back band can get worn out before its time.
What’s a Bra Wardrobe?
Every woman should have at least the following four styles in her wardrobe:
1. T-shirt Bra- Nude is invisible under lights and whites, but so is red! You need one nude, one black, and one red. You will be smooth and sexy, and no one will know what color you’re wearing under there. This will become your go-to work style.
2. Strapless/Convertible- This style is essential for special occasion dresses, racerback tanks, and tube tops. Get strapless that comes with a set of removable straps for the most versatility it can also transform into a halter style and a racerback. Genius! Also, look for a strapless with silicone strips on the back wings of the bra. This will ensure your bra never slips.
3. Sports Bra- Yes, you do need a separate bra for working out. Hardcore workouts deserve a bra up for the challenge. Invest in a sports bra that keeps your breasts in place during even the most rigorous workouts.
4. Sexy Lacy Bra- This is the key style for date nights or just feeling good about yourself. Lace bras can be worn with heavier knits and sheer silk shirts for a flirty look.
One more thing: for the smoothest t-shirt bra, look for a bra which has an overlock binding, like the 9955 Dream Tisha or 955 Tisha to ensure a flawless look under even the tightest tees.
What’s the truth about straps?
Make sure you check your strap adjustment every time you put on your bra. As the day goes on, straps slide and you don’t want slipping straps. The correct tension will only allow you to fit two fingers under the strap. If you can fit your whole hand, your straps need to be tighter. Properly adjusted straps will ensure your bra is giving you the best support.